Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Trapped

Today at our church was the funeral for a young man who died after a 6 year battle with cancer. He was only 38. When I care for cancer patients, particularly young ones, I often wonder how it would feel to live every moment in a body that is literally fighting against itself, slowly destroying itself, and to have no power to do anything about it except wait. Here is what Rod, the man now cancer free and residing in heaven, told Vernon, our visitation pastor, last week. He told him that he felt trapped in his own body. I praise God that now Rod is free. Not trapped in his deteriorating body. He fought a very good fight. He never looked run down or weak or discouraged when I saw him at church. Just joyful and energetic. Enjoying every moment. I know he had his rough moments (I cared for him during one), but he was an inspirational example even then. My heart breaks for his wife and two young girls.

No comments: